Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Little Rocker and The Fifth Generation....

This rocking chair belonged to my grandmother, Martha Black Hall - mom's mother - when she was a little girl. Like so many things, it's been sitting around our house for years collecting dust, shuffled out of the way from one place to another as we wait for each new generation to notice it. Before Ross was born, I guess Kate and Molly were the last ones to rock in it.

It's been painted several different colors - the latest being a dark green. I've been talking to mom and dad about having Boyd Raper refinish the frame and recane the seat for me - preserving it for future generations. Five generations have now used this little rocker and as I watch Ross rock in it, I can see how much he loves it, too. So, with the fifth generation off to a strong start, the little rocker was delivered to Boyd's workshop - and the pictures below will give you an idea of what a wonderful job he did for us.

The job Boyd did on the rocker surpassed my expectations. From the different types of wood used and the construction of the rocker, he estimated it to be at least 130 years old. The picture above shows saw marks on the rocker and there are similar marks other places on the wood frame and rockers.

The picture above shows a few of many imperfections in the wood - which only enhances it's appeal for me. I just hope it's as well loved by future generations as it has been by the first five. Beautiful job Boyd.

Rock on!

3 comments:

  1. It looks SO good! I can't wait for Ross to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I have a rocker I may need to get refinished. Never though of that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a great person to do the refinishing for you! Hug Brylie for me...haven't seen her in too long!

    ReplyDelete