Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mother's Day 2010

Before becoming a mom...
  • I slept all night
  • I had complete control of my life
  • I never tripped over toys
  • I always looked respectable
  • My car was always clean - no Cheerios or crackers to be seen
  • I was capable of leaving the house with just my purse

After becoming a mom,

  • I carried everything with me, including the kitchen sink
  • I always felt like I should make trips to the grocery store in the middle of the night just to spare the general public from my appearance
  • My car had Cheerios, stale french fries, and dried up puke in the floorboard
  • I also discovered some very frightening things -
  • I discovered that my heart could break into a million pieces just because I couldn't fix a boo-boo
  • I discovered the wonder of a baby's unconditional love and trust
  • I discovered that a toothless grin made my heart flutter
  • I discovered that every decision I made would center around someone else
  • I discovered how comforting it is to watch a baby in blissful sleep
  • I discovered that something so small and innocent would affect my life forever
  • I discovered that bath time can be an adventure

Now that I'm a grandmother,

  • I realize what a great adventure my experience as a mother has been
  • I realize how much I love being a mom
  • I realize that my mom is one of the strongest women I know
  • I think of my own grandmothers with a new found respect and admiration. I feel so fortunate to have shared a loving relationship with them - and with my great-grandmothers as well. I wish I could talk to each of them one more time...
  • I'm reminded what fine adults my children (all three of them) are and how thankful I am that they have each other
  • I realize that all the corny statements I've heard grandparents say over the years are TRUE!

When all is said and done, I'm thankful every day for the joys being a mother has brought to my life. Now I'm watching Erin discover her own joys with motherhood and I'm reliving the wonder once again - and remembering. Mom, Erin, and I will be celebrating Mother's Day together on Sunday. What fun it will be to watch Ross share his time between the three of us. Mom and Ross share something special, though, and Erin and I will sit back and enjoy watching them.

Happy Mother's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Go Go Ross and Mama Jo. :) I think they are true kindred spirits! Long live Whoop diddy!

    ReplyDelete