Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A gift from the heart....


I've been thinking about how much Ross loves to come home; how much Addison and Caleb enjoy being here - and all the discoveries they made. I sat in the gazebo this quiet morning with my coffee, looking around the yard thinking about how much work it is. As I walked through picking the dead blossoms off the bloomers, I realized something I'd forgotten. The peonies we have here are from my great grandmother's yard. Every time I've moved, I've moved them with me. For Ross, Addison and Caleb, that's "six greats" or six generations. Daylillies, Flowering Almond, Columbine, and I can't forget Granny Black's prize winning Iris - I've moved them all and their stories. I hope someday, these children will have yards of their own, and maybe - just maybe, they'll want some cuttings for their yards. And, maybe they'll want to know the beginning of each plant.


They'll be here to share with the next generation. At some point, you pass the torch. In the meantime, I'll take care of things here...

3 comments:

  1. those are beautiful, Merc (and so is the story behind them)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to make a "map" of the yard while everyone still remembers the stories. Dad did that for Momo's yard and I am so glad he did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've decided I want to come to your house!!

    ReplyDelete