
Wynken, Blynken, and Nod one night
Sailed off in a wooden shoe -
Sailed on a river of crystal light,
Into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going, and what do you wish?"
The old moon asked the three.
"We have come to fish for the herring fish
That live in this beautiful sea;
Nets of silver and gold have we!"
Said Wynken, Blyken, and Nod.....
While Erin was in labor with Ross, I thought about this book. Random, I know, but still I thought about how much I loved the book and the flow of the words in this story and poem. I'd forgotten it over the years as I've forgotten so many things from my childhood. Ross is awakening a lot of memories in me - fun ones - of things I want to share with him. My great Aunt Corinne used to read it to us when we were little and at Granny's house during the summer. We'd snuggle into the overstuffed sofa with her. Her long fingers would hold the book with one hand, propped on her knee, while she hugged us to her. The stories always seemed so much better when we were all snuggled together! We loved it - loved it - loved it!
I've been looking for a copy of the book for Ross. I've found several over the past few weeks, but they weren't illustrated by the illustrator I wanted. Found it.
So, little man, next time you're here with me, we'll read of the adventure of Wynken, Blyken, and Nod as they sale in the wooden shoe on the river of crystal light.
No comments:
Post a Comment