Friday, July 17, 2009

My New Tattoo

I think my grandson thinks he sees a new tattoo across my forehead that reads - Sucker - or - Playtime, 24/7. Either way works for him....

I admit I'm a sucker where he's concerned, and playtime 24/7 rings true, too. When Richard and Erin were little, I vaguely remember either being busy or tired all the time. After Richard was born, I was new to the "Mommy" thing; when Erin was born, I guess I was tired with two toddling around. I miss that time in my life though. I love that time of innocence - the look of amazement when discovering something for the first time - that look of total unconditional love that children are born with. I love that feeling when my grandson won't go into someone else's arms because he wants me to hold him - I loved that about his mommy and uncle, too, when they were little. I love the way his face lights up when he sees me. I love the way he snuggles with his elephant and me. Everyday leads to new discoveries - about our little ones, even about ourselves. I didn't loose any sleep if they had dirt for lunch or pulled a tail off a lizard. (When we were growing up in Florida, we didn't know lizards had tails - Guy kept them plucked off!) I didn't worry when they got grimmy from playing in the dirt or sand with their trucks - or soiled their new clothes from playing too hard outside - or with the finger paints - or chalk sticks.

It bothers me when I hear grandparents - or parents - say things like "Billy, quit. No one wants to see you do this or that; or say this or that." Or when they say "Children should be seen and not heard, so please be quiet!" Mom, Martha, Erin and I took Ross with us to lunch yesterday at The Apple Dish in Livingston. We sat in one of the back rooms because the front was full. Ross squealed and had the best time (not quietly either!). As I was checking out, the woman who owns the Dish commented to me that she was so glad to see us enjoying him and our time with him - they grow up too fast. And, that is gospel.

Back to the first paragraph of this entry, which led me to this train of thought in the first place...... Ross woke up around 115A this morning and was awake until 400A. He wasn't fussy; no scary crying; no trying to play or moving around a lot; he wasn't hungry. He just sat in my lap; we snuggled and we rocked....me, Ross, and Elephant. It was almost as though he knew it was a time he could get me alone and have me all to himself - with no one to bother us. We didn't have to sing, or read, or make funny noises or talk. We just rocked and snuggled, closed our eyes and enjoyed. I'm not tired this morning; I thought I would be. I can't wait to get home to him - to hear about his day from mom, dad and Martha. I know when I walk through the door and he spots me, all the aggravation from the workday will vanish. Everything will be worthwhile....and I'll have another night with him. I also know that "this is all probably just the imagining's of a besotted grandmother" - but it's what great daydreams are made of...

No comments:

Post a Comment