As I was sitting at my laptop today at work, I got to thinking about the many joys that we get to experience - in new ways - every day. Becoming a grandparent is one of God's gift to us - offering us an opportunity to see life in ways that maybe we've forgotten - through clear eyes with a renewed sense of hope. This past weekend presented one of those times.
Ross spent Saturday and Sunday with us. Sunday was a beautiful, sunny fall day - crisp and clear - perfect for a romp in the leaves. I took him outside for a walk, and watching him, it occurred to me that this was his first fall at the lake where he was able to experience fall leaves first hand. He loved kicking them around - just to watch them take flight. He examined every leaf, carefully holding them by the stem - one in each hand. We followed the path through the woods in the front yard; we climbed over rocks in the garden; we picked up acorns, matching the "heads" to the "hats"; we watched the squirrels and chipmunks as they worked hard storing food for the upcoming winter. We enjoyed being outside, together, without a care in the world. It was wonderful.
He got so much joy out of such little things. Wouldn't it be a great thing if we, as adults, took the time to see our lives and the world through the eyes of a child, discovering all the wonders for the first time? I'm able to do that now and then, through God's grace.
Footnote: Debby, enjoy your Ross's sweatshirt on our Ross. Who knew when I made it for you 20 or so years ago - that you'd send it back to me for our Ross Nicholas to enjoy? I'm taking good care of it - just in case it finds it's way back to you one day!


We love Gigi.
ReplyDeleteI love the vintage Ross sweatshirt. It looks as if you have been making mommies happy for years, Merc!
ReplyDeleteI love these pictures. Especially those of him excited and checking out the leaves. You love your little man....I can see that!
ReplyDeleteso cute. they just love the leaves. we don't have too many fun leaves however like you!
ReplyDeletei love fall. october is best month of the year
ReplyDeletetoo cute! I have vintage Kate and Molly stuff just in case as well :)
ReplyDelete