Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Weekend Adventures of Ross and Gigi

Wish I had a catchy theme song to accompany the title of this post, but alas, I have none.

What started off as a little treat for Nick and Erin - a Saturday afternoon, evening, and Sunday morning to do anything they wanted to do - turned into a real adventure!

It all started with a mad rush to get three adults and two kids dressed, out the door, and to Jack Seaton's birthday party - looking like we had it together.  It was a great party, by the way!  A pirate party....right up my alley.  On the way home, we thought we'd stop by Newt's sandwich shop for a quick lunch.  It was really crowded, and....I can't remember exactly why we decided to pack our lunch up and head home to eat, but we did.  In the midst of getting it all together, Erin asked me if I could see Ross - and in a nano second, we panicked.  Nick spotted him in a split second and he was standing at the door, ready to go home.  He had that far-away stare in his eyes which told us that boy was T.I.R.E.D.

When we got home, I think I was the one that decided to get on the road thinking maybe the kids would sleep on the drive.  Hey, I didn't eat my lunch....a Caesar's salad and half of a 5-cheese pizza!  Guys, I hope it was good.....

I hit Hwy. 231 to Lebanon with Sarah crying and fussing all the way.  Erin suggested I stop and get her a plain hamburger from Sonic - which I did and she G.O.B.B.L.E.D. it up - while Ross slept the sleep of the nocturnal!  Sound, sound, sound...out like a light!  Sarah was a happy camper for about 10 miles, and then she was unhappy.  By the time I got to Monterey, I was really worried that she might be sick because this was very unusual behavior for her - she never fusses like she was doing.  I pulled off the interstate in Monterey, parked at Hardee's (Ross was awake by this time), got her out of her car seat and she sat in the front with me.  I received the sweetest two-tooth grin EVER from her.  Then I discovered why she'd been fussing.   Yes, she wanted my B.L.A.C.K.B.E.R.R.Y!!!!!  And she kept it the rest of the way home and was happy as a lark.

Moving along a bit.....Sarah went to bed about 600P - she was more than ready since she'd had no nap at all.  Ross and I got ready for bed and we were watching Go Diego Go! on NickJr.  He had his great, great grandmother's little rocker out and I warned him about horsing around with it so close to the hearth.  I blinked once, and POW!  He hit the hearth - splitting the back of his head pretty good....about 1-1.5" long gash.  I knew when I saw it he'd need stitches, but I really DID NOT want to go to the ED.  A friend from next door - an RN - came over and confirmed what I already knew.  So, daddy and I headed to the ED with my sweet love - to battle the Saturday night escapes at CMC's Emergency Department.  By the way, I got dressed but Ross went in his blood soaked jammies.

On the drive in, I was so hoping that I'd see some familiar faces - and I did.  Ivan was the RN on the Fast Track, Alan was the PA working the track, and that was all I needed to see.  We were in a room within 10 minutes after being triaged.  Two staples, some tears, an orange popsicle, 20 minutes, and a Coke to drink on the way home - and we were D.O.N.E.  Hugs for everyone as we headed out the door and home, thankful that the adventure was coming to an end....this one, anyway.  What a trooper of a grandson I have!  I'm not saying there were no tears - there were plenty of those.  But I was proud of him - I just can't stand it!  Bless his sweet heart! 

Backing up a bit, I did call Nick and Erin before leaving for the ED, and they left the movie they'd gone to see on their "date night" - they were about 20 minutes into the movie - and they pulled into the driveway at home about 10 minutes after Ross, daddy and I did.  Nick must've broken the sound barrier!

As we wound down and recounted our trip to the ED for everyone, Ross had a warm bath and I washed the blood out of his hair, got clean jammies on and we cuddled together on the sofa while Gigi had Bailey's on the rocks.....a very large Bailey's.  Doctor's orders!  About 1030P,  Ross and I decided it was time for our scheduled sleep over to begin and we headed into the guest suite for our party - both sound asleep within a few minutes.

Two staples after a good shampooing....
One adventure down,  many, many more to come for Ross, Gigi, and Sarah. 


2 comments:

  1. Oh what a trooper! I am glad everything worked out for the whole gang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a night! I'm so glad everything went as well as possible.

    ReplyDelete