I had coffee and oatmeal at the round table in the sun-room - like I do every morning, work or not. Six-fifteen a.m. Looking at dad, mom says "do you know we were doing 66 years ago today"? Dad - "Of course, I do." That's mom's standard question on their anniversary and dates that Martha, Guy, and I were born. He always knows what he was doing on those specific occasions...important occasions.
They were married in Rossville, GA. Mom had turned 18 the week before; dad was 21 and had spent time in the South Pacific with the Navy before coming back to Crossville to graduate with mom's class. Why Rossville, GA? Dad said "Why wait"? In Tennessee, couples were required to wait 3 days from applying for a marriage certificate and he couldn't see any reason to wait. In his young mind, he felt he'd spent 2+ years being told what to do - had seen and experienced things in WWII that no young man should have to experience. He wanted to get married and he wasn't waiting!
They came back to Crossville where, that night, friends gathered for a chivary. Banging pots and pans in the night was involved; dad pushing mom in a wheelbarrow down Main Street was also involved. Did I mention it was February and there was ice and snow on the roads that night! Lots of love and laughter with friends and family. Things are so much more 'dignified' today. Can you imagine the fun we're missing by ignoring the customs of our parents!
As for me, I'm lucky. Lucky to have had 66 years - so far - with two of the most fantastic people in the world. Yes, they aggravate me at times; my patience is on a short string a lot of days. Dad doesn't hear very well (with or without his hearing aid), and mom's having trouble remembering things. But they recall 66 years ago with such clarity that it astonishes me. I spend time hearing about days of the past, hoping I can remember them. Family tells me to write it all down - but you know, as with most things these days, LIFE gets in the way. In the twilight of my life, I'm very sure I'll sit and wish I had written them down, probably getting the details confused. But for now, 66 years with this pair of crazy, hard working, loving people have definitely been a blessing in my life.

And I'm grateful every day.....
This Family....
laughs and learns
prays and protects
apologizes and appreciates
dreams and discovers
fights and forgives
teases and trusts
gives and grows
believes and belongs
loves and lasts
.....Forever


Good one! And what better place to record their legacy...than right here on your blog!
ReplyDelete