I was driving along Highland in front the MTMC, traveling about 20 miles an hour due to the crosswalk in the front of the hospital. I see the crosswalk ahead and I notice a young lady standing well off the curb, pilfuring through a large tote. My thoughts - "she's not ready to cross yet, so I'll SLOWLY cruise through"...which I did. No sirens, but flashing lights I see in my rearview...and I think "crap". It takes me a minute to find a safe place to pull over because, of course, it's a BUSY FRIDAY NIGHT IN FRONT OF A HOSPITAL WHERE I KNOW EVERYONE IN THE FREAKING TOWN - AND THEY ALL WORK AT THE HOSPITAL! The officer comes around to my window and asks if I know why he stopped me. NO. "You didn't see the yellow flashing lights at the crosswalk?" WHAT YELLOW FLASHING LIGHTS!! Ross was being so good - oblivious tp my humiliation! While the officer's checking Nick and Erin's registration and my license (which is CLEAN), I'm praying that Ross remains oblivious to our situation. Then it happens. The fussing starts. I did what any grandmother does - I got out of the car, walked around the back so the guy could see me, opened the car door and stood ourside the car, soothing Ross, singing a jingle to him - off key, I'm sure. I'm certainly not a Jeanna Campbell! I'm figuring how much my ticket will be in my head, thinking about how I'll never confess this o
ne to a soul, etc. The officer finishes and comes over to give me my ticket and lecture. "Mam, you do realize, don't you, that getting out of a vehicle that's been stopped by law enforcement gives that officer the right to pull his weapon on you." "Of course I didn't realize that! You mean you'd shoot me for trying to console my grandson so he's not in the middle of a screaming mee-mee while you're giving me my $500 ticket for running a crosswalk with yellow flashing lights I didn't even see - watching a girl standing way off the curb digging to China in her tote bag????" "No, mam, I wouldn't've shot you. I want to be sure you understand the repercussions of your actions." The repercussion involved a warning only as he walked away shaking his head and LAUGHING. The nerve of that kid! I get the severity of what could've happened - I'm not a moron!Long and short of it is this - Ross and I are stayin' home on Friday nights from now on!!!
I would have shot you just to put both of us out of our misery. :-)
ReplyDeleteI'd figure you didn't want the embarassment any longer! That's exactly WHY I'm going to hang all over you while in FL!!! I want everyone to know we're related....ha! :P
ReplyDeleteYou never know what could happen with the Murfreesboro Police Department. They don't have a very good track record!
ReplyDeleteGeez, Merc....the kid isn't even 6 months yet and already you're setting a bad example. Too bad he wasn't with his GAGA Aunt Martha....she probably had the cop in grade school :)
ReplyDelete