Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Home Too Quiet.....



















It's amazing how quiet a house becomes when everyone leaves. Erin and Ross spent the night with us last Thursday, leaving after Erin's hair appointment on Friday.

Driving home from work that afternoon, I thought about hearing Ross' squeals of delight when I walked through the door; that very big grin; the legs kicking wildly waiting for his share of attention.... Quiet met me at the door. I can't think of a word that adequately conveys what I felt when the "quiet" hit me. Then I heard Brig, the blaring TV(s)....and things were better, a little anyway. Dropping my briefcase here, my shoes there, slinging my purse over the stool back, working my way through the house, the thought came to me that friends of mine are always saying they can't wait to get home to the peace and quiet. I guess I used to say that, too. Then Ross was here. I don't much like the peace and quiet anymore - definitely not one of my favorite things. My favorite things have stepped up a bit - I love the squeals that get louder and louder as he discovers his voice. I love hearing his little feet as he stomps in place while being held up. I love seeing him try to jump free from whoever's holding him - just to get to me! I live for the day when I'll hear him running for the back door when I get home; I anticipate that hug I'll get and the smacky kiss - the look of innocent delight on his face as he thinks, "my Gigi's home and it's playtime".

Peace and quiet isn't always what it's cracked up to be.

2 comments:

  1. What sweet pictures! I know you can't wait until the next time Ross visits. When are you going to come visit us?

    ReplyDelete