Sunday, January 25, 2009













I know you're probably tired of seeing Ross plastered all over my blog - well, I'm a grandmother now so don't be an ole curmudgeon - humor me!

I have friends spread over a great many states that I think of but some I've lost contact with over the years. It seems like 2007-08 were the years for reconnection. One thing that prompted some of the 'reconnect' is the fact that my 40th high school reunion rolls around in June. Yes, kids, your mom graduated 40 years ago (and your dad!) - and THEY FOUND ME! The Reunion Committee found me and I've been hearing from several classmates. Weird.

I also rediscovered some old friends that have been such an important part of my life over the years (other stories for other days). One, Debby Ross Williams. I guess the last time I saw Debby and Terry was when their two girls, Becca and Tera and my two were 4-5 years old - in Florida. Then we lost touch. Last October or November, I got this phone call completely out of the blue - and it was Debby. I knew her voice the minute I heard it. You see, that's the kind of friends we are - always there in the back of the mind stored safely away. Before that, I'd heard from Brenda Beery Senn, also a high school friend, and before that, Debbie Barnett Baker. Unbelievable few years for reconnecting with friends - close confidants from the past (again, other stories for other times!).

Some very dear friends lost their oldest son. I wasn't able to go to them to share their grief, but I certainly was with them in sadness and pain the rest of 2007 and into 2008. It still feels rather raw to think about such a vibrant young life - gone in a second and Tommy was one of those kids that claimed you, heart and soul. Handsome, a killer smile and twinkle in his eyes! Working in the healthcare field, I'm around the sound of sirens every day, the feel of helicopter blades lifting off and landing, roaring as if the roof was being pulled off the building, knowing that there are some parents that might be suffering. About the time you think things are settling down, more news -

Friday night last, I received an 'invitation' to be friends on Facebook with an old friend - Amy Marks Cecil. She and her family live in Boca Raton. Erin was born at Bethseda Memorial Hospital in 1979 in Boynton Beach (Richard was 2 1/2) , and Amy was probably the one who sustained my sense of humor through a very tough and uncertain time the next few years. I could always depend on Amy to brighten the day for me - and she loved the kids. Even now, I remember watching Amy with the kids and thinking what a great mother she'd be one day. Going on with the story, I responded to Amy's invitation to Facebook. So, of course, I prowled around her page, looking at pictures of her three sons, Chris, Colby and Connor, hoping to meet them one day. As I read, I kept hitting something about a memorial service and it just never registered with me - Colby died December 18, 2008 - a traffic accident. The one thought I had was that two dear friends had lost something so precious to them and I wasn't there to hugh them or console them - just to be there in case they needed something. But, it's not about me. I have yet to talk directly to one of them - I know the pain is still strong even though it's been about a year and a half. With Amy, I've emailed her and I will call soon - when I can put into thought and words what I want to say, and frankly, right this minute, I don't know what to say.

In summary, from my point of view, don't wait. Make that effort to touch base; make that phone call or send that email. Reconnect with a friend or family member you haven't talked to in a long time. One of my favorite people in the whole world is a cousin, Martha Peavyhouse Byars (our mothers are first cousins) who retired to McMinnville with her husband several years ago. We've teased each other about grandchildren, our parents, etc. I never dreamed she'd become such a good friend or that I would enjoy seeing her as much as I do. Even though we can't spend a lot of time together due to our busy lives, we both know if we needed ANYTHING, we'd be there in a flash. Right, Martha?

See you for coffee soon! Ross and I will have it hot! Bring your mom and dad, 900A any Saturday.













P.S. Caleb Kelley Wright and his family are all gathered at St. Paul's By-The-Sea Episcopal Church to celebrate his baptism today. I know, for a fact, that Grandmommy and Pa are proud. They're anticipating the birth of a granddaughter in April, too. Wonderful blessings - any way you look at it. Blessings all - love you.

1 comment: